Dr. Van Blerkom Curriculum Vitae
B.S.College of New York City 1969 (General Honors and Honors in Biology and Biochemistry)
Ph.D.Department of Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology, University of Colorado at Boulder, 1974
- 1975: Fellow, European Molecular Biology Organization, Cambridge University, Cambridge, England
- 1975-1978: Lecturer, Department of Pediatrics, B.F. Stolinsky Laboratory, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, CO
- 1978-1985: Senior Research Associate, Department of Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology, University of Colorado at Boulder
- 1981-1993: Faculty Fellow, Institute of Behavioral Genetics, University of Colorado at Boulder
- 1986-present: Professor, Department of Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology, University of Colorado at Boulder
- 1982-1999: IVF Laboratory Director, Reproductive Genetics In Vitro, Denver, CO
- 1998-present: IVF Laboratory Director, Colorado Reproductive Endocrinology, Rose Medical Center, Denver, CO
- 2008-present: Co-Coordinator: ESHRE/WHO Task Force on Reproductive Health in the Developing World
- 2012: Trustee, Walking Egg Foundation
FELLOWSHIPS AND AWARDS
- Bachelor’s degree awarded with General Honors and Honors in Biology and Biochemistry
- U.S. Patent (4,840,891), Polymeric Encapsulation of Sperm for Artificial Insemination, June, 1989
- U.S. Patent (RE 34,326), Polymeric Encapsulation, Storage and Programmed Delivery of Sperm for Artificial Insemination, June 1993
- Fellow, American College of Embryology, 2011
PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES AND SERVICE
- Editorial Board, Electron Microscopy in Biology and Medicine, 1979-1984
- Member, Board of Scientific Advisors, Genetic Engineering, Inc., Denver, 1981-1982
- Chairman, Board of Scientific Advisors, Genetic Engineering, Inc., Denver, 1982-1985
- Member, National Institute of Medicine Committee on Medically Assisted Conception, 1987-1988
- Associate Editor, International Journal of Developmental Biology, 1988-1993
- Guest Editor, Journal Electron Microscopic Technique, 1989
- Board of Scientific Advisors, Progenitor, Inc., 1993-1998
- Editorial Board, Human Reproduction Update, 1994-1996
- Editorial Board, Molecular Human Reproduction, 1996-2001
- Editorial Board, Reproductive Biomedicine Online, 2000- 2011
- Consulating Member of United States FDA Advisory Panels, 2002-present
- Associate Editor, Molecular Human Reproduction, 2007-2011
- Embryo Advisory Board, Schering Plough, Inc. 2008-2010
- Associate Editor, Human Reproduction Update, 2009- 2013
- Guest Editor, Series on Mitochondria in Development, Mitochondrion, 2010-2011
- Editorial Board, Journal of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Health, 2009-present
- Section Editor, Reproductive Biomedicine Online, 2011-2016
- European Society of Human Reproduction and Embryology (ESHRE) Expert Panel on
- Oocyte and Embryo Assessment, 2010
- Editorial Board, Zygote, 2010-2011
- North American Editor, Zygote, 2012-2016
- Associate Editor, Journal of Assisted Reproduction and Genetics, 2012-
2003: General Program Prize Paper, 59th Annual Meeting of the American Society of Reproductive Medicine
INVITED LECTURES AND PRESENTATIONS
- Plenary Lecture, 11th World Congress of In Vitro Fertilization and Human Reproductive Genetics. Sydney, Australia
- Speaker, International Symposium on The Bottleneck: Gamete and Embryo Mitochondria in Humans. Sydney, Australia
- Invited Speaker, 15th Annual Meeting of the European Society of Human Reproduction and Embryology. Tours, France
- Alpha International Society of Reproductive Biologists. Copenhagen, Denmark
- Shackman Lecture, Dept. of Obstetrics and Gynecology Johns Hopkins Medical School. Baltimore, MD
- Invited Speaker, British Fertility Society. Newcastle, UK
- Opening Lecture: Internal Workshop on Stem Cells and Nuclear Transfer Strategies. Munich, Germany
- Speaker: French Society of Reproductive Medicine. Mechanisms of Oogenesis and Implantation. Paris, France
- State-of-the-Art Lecture: Mitochondrial Function in Early Development: International Symposium: From Gamete to Newborn, Leuven Belgium, September
- Plenary Lecture: ESHRE Symposium on Human Embryogenesis, Antwerp, Belgium, May
- Plenary Lecture: International Symposium: Embryogenesis Begins During Oogenesis, Bologna, Italy, May
- Invited Speaker, Annual Meeting of the Canadian Fertility and Andrology Society, St. John’s, Newfoundland, September
- Plenary Lecture: The Human Blastocyst, Palermo, Sicily, September
- Lecturer, Post Graduate Course on IVF, 33rd Annual Meeting of American Society for Reproductive Medicine, October
- Lecturer: ROLDUC Workshop 2000, Oocyte and Embryo Organization, Aachen, Germany
- Seminar, Developmental Biology Program, UC Davis, Davis, CA, April
- Organon Lecture, Northwest Fertility Society, Portland, OR, June
- Invited Lecture, 17th Annual European Society of Human Reproudction and Embryology, Lussaane, Switzerland, July
- Plenary Lecture, International Symposium on Human Oocyte Maturaton, Copenhagen, Denmark, August
- Invited Speaker, XXVIII International Symposium on Fertility. Dexeus University, Barcelona, Spain, October
- Invited Lecture, American College of OB/GYN. Big Sky Conf. Big Sky, MT, February
- Invited Lecture, Soc. Gynecological Investigation, Los Angeles, CA., March
- Invited Lecture, Annual Meeting, American College of Reproductive Medicine, Myrtle Beach, SC, April
- Invited Lecture, Fourth International Symposium on Pre-implantation Genetic Diagnosis, Cyprus, April
- Invited Lecture, 18th Annual Symposium of the European Society of Human Reproduction and Embryology, Vienna, July
- Invited Lecture, First Mediterranean Congress on Reproductive Medicine, Sicily, November
- Serono Symposium on the Human Oocyte and Embryo, Rome, Italy
- Course Organizer and Lecture: State of the Art: The Communicating Oocyte: Madrid, Spain
- 5th Internaitonal Symposium on Preimplantation Genetics, Antalya, Turkey
- Keynote Speaker and Lecturer, 4th Biennial Alpha Conference, Antwerp, Belgium
- Serono Symposium on Reproductive Aging, Palma de Majorca, Spain
- Serono Symposium, Measuring Human Embryo Quality, Montreal, Canada
- Serono Lecture, Phoenix Society of Reproductive Medicine, Phoenix, AZ.
- Speaker, 18th World Congress on Fertility and Sterility (IFFS 2004), Montreal, Canada
- Speaker, 2nd WARM Congress, Rome, Italy
- SISMER Lecture, Bologna, Italy
- Symposium Organizer and Speaker: Serono Symposia International Conference on: “From the Oocyte to the Embryo: A Pathway to Life, Stresa, Italy
- Seminar: Dept. of Cell and Mol. Biology, Oregon Primate Res. Center, Univ. of Oregon.
- Seminar: Depts. Of Cell Biology and ObGyn. Univ. of Penn. Medical School. Philadelphia, PA.
- Sixth International Symposium on Preimplantation Genetics, London, U.K.
- Keynote Address, Section Chairman and Lecturer, 13th World Congress on In Vitro Fertilization Assisted Reproduction & Genetics, Istanbul, Turkey
- Organizer and Session Chairman State of the ART Symposium: Oocyte Signaling, Copenhagen Denmark
- Human Oocyte Freezing: Safety, Efficacy and Outcome, Bologna, Italy
- Serono Symposium: Cell and Molecular Biology of Human Gametes, Gubbio, Italy
- 22nd Annual Symposium of the European Society of Human Reproduction and Embryology, Prague
- International Society of Clinical Embryology (Alpha) Luzerne, Switzerland
- Canadian Association of Clinical Embryologists, Toronto, Canada
- Lecturer, World Association of Reproductive Medicine, Rome, Italy
- Invited Lecturer, French Federation for the Study of Reproduction (FFER), Paris
- Genevrier Laboratories Lecture (FFER), Paris
- Invited Speaker, Symposium on Natural Cycle IVF, London
2007 (accepted 1 of 15 invitations)
- Keynote Lecture, Mediterranean Society of Reproductive Medicine, Anatalya, Turkey
- International Society of Clinical Embryology (Alpha), Istanbul, Turkey
- Keynote Speaker, 2nd Annual Suzanne Mubarak Symposium, Alexandria, Egypt
- Distinguished Speaker, South American Society for Reproductive Medicine, Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Invited Speaker, Fertility Society of Australia, Brisbane
- Serono Symposium Speaker, Brisbane, Australia
- Keynote Speaker, World Association of Reproductive Medicine, Guadalajara, Mexico
- Keynote Speaker, Mediterranean Society of Reproductive Medicine, Florence, Italy
- Canadian Fertility Society, Montreal
- Emerging Concepts in the Treatment of Human Infertility, Suzanne Mubarak Women’s Center, Alexandria, Egypt
- Invited Speaker, 25th Annual Symposium of the European Society of Human Reproduction and Embryology, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- ESHRE/Alpha Expert Meeting: Human Oocyte and Embryo Standardization, Istanbul, Turkey, February
- Invited Speaker: Belgian Society of Reproductive Medicine, Leuven, March
- Invited Speaker, 1st International Congress on Stem Cells, Reproductive Cells, Tissues and Organs, Valencia, Spain, April
- Invited Speaker, 26th Annual Symposium of the European Society of Human Reproduction and Embryology, Rome, Italy
- Distinguished Lecturer: World Association of Reproductive Medicine and Biology, Moscow, Russia, October
- Seminar, BSRM Symposium on Fertilization, Genk, Belgium, March
- Seminar: Functional Remodeling of the Oolemma. Dept. of Animal Science, Colorado State Univ. Ft. Collins, October
- Invited Speaker: The Oocyte – Symposium on Basic and Clinical Research: Barcelona, Spain, November
- Keynote Speaker: Southwest Embryology Society, Las Vegas, January
- Seminar, Dept. Animal Reproductive Sciences, Colorado State University, March
- Keynote Speaker: Asian Pacific Society of Reproductive Medicine and Biology (ASPIRE) Osaka, Japan, September
- Invited Speaker: Japanese Society of Fertilization and Implantation, August, Osaka
- Invited Speaker—Ovarian Club Symposium II: The fertilization process of the oocyte and early embryo development in relation to various clinical conditions, Prague, November
- Invited Speaker: The Future of Reproduction, Cambridge, UK, December
(1) Van Blerkom, J., C. Manes and J.C. Daniel (1973) Development of preimplantation rabbit embryos in vivo and in vitro. I. An ultrastructural comparison. Dev. Biol. 35:262-282.
(2) Van Blerkom, J. and C. Manes (1974) Development of preimplantation rabbit embryos in vivo and in vitro. II. A comparison of qualitative aspects of protein synthesis. Dev. Biol. 40:40-51.
(3) Motta, P. and J. Van Blerkom (1974) Présence d’un materiel characteristique granulaire dans le cytoplasma de l’ovocytes et dans les premiers stades de la differentiation des cellules embryoaires. Bull. Assoc. Anat. Fr. 58:349-356.
(4) Motta, P. and J. Van Blerkom (1974) A scanning electron microscopic study of the luteo-follicular complex. I. Follicle and oocyte. J. Submicro. Cytol. 6:297-310.
(5) Van Blerkom, J. and G. Brockway (1975) Qualitative patterns of protein synthesis in the preimplantation mouse embryo. I. Normal pregnancy. Dev. Biol. 44:148-157.
(6) Van Blerkom, J. and G. Brockway (1975) Qualitative patterns of protein synthesis in the preimplantation mouse embryo. II. During release from facultative delayed implantation. Dev. Biol. 46:446-451.
(7) Van Blerkom, J. (1975) Protein synthesis during preimplantation embryogenesis. Res. Reprod. 7:1-3.
(8) Motta, P. and J. Van Blerkom (1975) A scanning electron microscopic study of the luteo-follicular complex. II. Events leading to ovulation. Am. J. Anat. 143:241-265.
(9) Motta, P. and J. Van Blerkom (1975) A scanning electron microscopic study of rabbit spermatozoa in the female reproductive tract after coitus. Cell and Tissue Res. 163:29-45.
(10) Van Blerkom, J. and M.N. Runner (1976) The fine structure of parthenogenetically activated preimplantation mouse embryos. J. Exp. Zool. 196:113-124.
(11) Van Blerkom, J., S. Barton and M.H. Johnson (1976) Molecular differentiation of the preimplantation mouse embryo. Nature (Lond.) 259:319-321.
(12) Van Blerkom, J. and M.H. Johnson (1976) A molecular approach to the study of preimplantation development in mammals. J. Anat. 122:727-729.
(13) Van Blerkom, J. and P. Motta (1977) Changes occurring in the head region of rabbit spermatozoa after coitus and in the uterus as observed by scanning and transmission electron microscopy. Acta Anat. 99:344-345a.
(14) McGaughey, R.W. and J. Van Blerkom (1977) Patterns of polypeptide synthesis of porcine oocytes during maturation in vitro. Dev. Biol. 56:241-254.
(15) Van Blerkom, J. (1977) Molecular approaches to the study of oocyte maturation and preimplantation embryonic development. In: Immunobiology of the Gametes (M. Edidin and M.H. Johnson, eds.), Cambridge University Press.
(16) Van Blerkom, J. and C. Manes (1977) The molecular biology of preimplantation embryogenesis. In: Concepts in Mammalian Embryogenesis (M.I. Sherman, ed.), M.I.T. Press.
(17) Van Blerkom, J. and R.W. McGaughey (1978) Molecular differentiation of the rabbit ovum. I. During oocyte maturation in vivo and in vitro. Dev. Biol. 63:139-150.
(18) Van Blerkom, J. and R.W. McGaughey (1978) Molecular differentiation of the rabbit ovum. II. During the preimplantation development of in vivo and in vitro matured oocytes. Dev. Biol. 63:151-164.
(19) Van Blerkom, J. and P. Motta (1978) A scanning electron microscopic study of the luteo-follicular complex. III. The repair of the follicle and the formation of the corpus luteus. Cell Tiss. Res. 189:131-153.
(20) Barberini, S., J. Van Blerkom and P. Motta (1978) Changes in the surface of the rabbit endometrium related to the estrous and progestational stages of the reproductive tract. Cell Tiss. Res. 190:207-222.
(21) Van Blerkom, J. (1978) Methods for the high resolution analysis of protein synthesis: Applications to studies of early mammalian development. In: Methods in Mammalian Reproduction (J.C. Daniel, ed.), Academic Press.
(22) Motta, P. and J. Van Blerkom (1978) Structure and ultrastructure of the mammalian Graafian follicle. In: Ovulation: Mechanisms, Detection, Prediction and Regulation (E.S.E. Hafez, ed.), Elsevier, North Holland Pub.
(23) Chavez, D.J. and J. Van Blerkom (1979) Persistence of RNA synthesis during facultative delayed implantation in the mouse. Dev. Biol. 70:39-49.
(24) Van Blerkom, J. (1979) Molecular differentiation of the rabbit ovum. III. Fertilization- autonomous polypeptide synthesis. Dev. Biol. 72:188-194.
(25) Van Blerkom, J. and Motta, P. (1979) The Cellular Basis of Mammalian Reproduction. Urban and Schwartenberg, Baltimore and Munich.
(26) Van Blerkom, J. and P. Motta (1979) Morphodynamic aspects of the ovarian superficial epithelium as revealed by transmission, scanning and high voltage electron microscopy. Ann. Biol. Anim. Biophys. 19:1559-1567.
(27) Van Blerkom, J., D.J. Chavez and H. Bell (1979) The molecular and cellular biology of facultative delayed implantation in vivo and in vitro. In: Maternal Recognition of Pregnancy (CIBA Symposium No. 64)., Excerpta Medica, Amsterdam.
(28) Motta, P., J. Van Blerkom and S. Makabe (1980) Changes in the superficial morphology of the ovarian “germinal epithelium” during the reproductive cycle and in pathological conditions. J. Submicro. Cytol. 12:407-425.
(29) Van Blerkom, J. (1980) The molecular biology of mammalian oogenesis and oocyte maturation. In: The Biology of the Ovary (P. Motta and E.S.E. Hafez, eds.), Martinus Nijhoff, The Hague.
(30) Motta, P. and J. Van Blerkom (1980) The biology of ovulation. In: The Biology of the Ovary (P. Motta and E.S.E. Hafez, eds.), Martinus Nijhoff, The Hague.
(31) Van Blerkom, J. and P. Motta (1980) Morphodynamic aspects of the ovarian superficial epithelium. In: Development and Maturation of the Reproductive Organs (P. Mauleon, ed.), Martinus Nijhoff, The Hague.
(32) Schliwa, M. and J. Van Blerkom (1981) Interactions of cytoskeletal components and a comparison of their images in lysed and unlysed cells. J. Cell Biol. 90:222-235.
(33) Schliwa, M., J. Van Blerkom and K.R. Porter (1981) In vitro stabilization of the cytoplasmic ground substance and analysis of its biochemical composition. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 78:4329-4333.
(34) Van Blerkom, J. and D.J. Chavez (1981) Morphodynamics of outgrowths of mouse trophoblast in the presence and absence of a monolayer of uterine epithelium. Am. J. Anat. 162:143-155.
(35) Van Blerkom, J. (1981) The structural relation and posttranslational modification of stage-specific proteins synthesized during early preimplantation development in the mouse. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 78:7629-7633.
(36) Van Blerkom, J. (1981) Intrinsic and extrinsic patterns of molecular differentiation during oogenesis, embryogenesis and organogenesis in mammals. In: Molecular and Cellular Aspects of Implantation (D. Bullock and S. Glasser, eds.), Plenum Press.
(37) Chavez, D.J. and J. Van Blerkom (1981) Attachment and outgrowth in vitro of mouse trophectoderm. In: Molecular and Cellular Aspects of Implantation (D. Bullock and S. Glasser, eds.), Plenum Press.
(38) Wagner, T.E., J. Van Blerkom and J.D. Jollick (1982) Gene chimeric mammals: Mice developed from zygotes microinjected with rabbit beta globin genes producing rabbit globin. DNA 1:165-168.
(39) Schliwa, M., J. Van Blerkom and K.B. Pryzwansky (1982) Structural organization of the cytoplasm. In: Cold Spring Harbor Symposium on Quantitative Biology 46 (The Cytoplasm), Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, pp. 51- 67.
(40) Schliwa, M., J. Van Blerkom and K.B. Pryzwansky (1982) Implications of cytoskeletal interactions for cellular architecture and behavior. Phil. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. 299:199-205.
(41) Van Blerkom, J., R. Janzen and M.N. Runner (1982) The patterns of protein synthesis during foetal and neonatal organ development are remarkably similar. J. Embryol. Exp. Morph. 72:97-116.
(42) Weil, J., C.J. Epstein, J. Van Blerkom and N. Xuong (1983) Computer-assisted analysis demonstrates that polypeptides induced by natural and recombinant human interferon-alpha are the same and that some have related primary structures. Antiviral Res. 3:303-314.
(43) Van Blerkom, J. (1983) Posttranscriptional and posttranslational controls during early mammalian embryogenesis. In: Indo-US Symposium on Ovo-Implantation (B. Saxena and K. Yoshinaga, eds.), IIMS Pub.
(44) Van Blerkom, J. and M.N. Runner (1984) Mitochondrial reorganization during resumption of arrested meiosis in the mouse oocyte. Am. J. Anat. 171:335-355.
(45) Van Blerkom, J., G. Henry and R. Porreco (1984) Preimplantation human embryonic development of polypronuclear eggs after in vitro fertilization. Fertil. Steril. 41:686-696.
(46) Van Blerkom, J., G. Henry and R. Porreco (1984) Morphologically normal-appearing preimplantation stage human embryos can develop from polypronuclear eggs after in vitro fertilization: Sequestration of aberrant cells to extraembryonic lineage. J. IVF and ET 2:146-147.
(47) Henry, G., J. Van Blerkom and R. Porreco (1984) Ultrastructurally-guided uterine placement of human embryos after in vitro fertilization. J. IVF and ET 2:115-116.
(48) Janzen, R.G., J. Van Blerkom and M.N. Runner (1984) Identification and characterization of glycoproteins secreted by the skin of the day 16 fetal mouse. J. Exp. Zool. 232:99-106.
(49) Johnson, M.H., J. McConnell and J. Van Blerkom (1984) Programed development in the mouse embryo. J. Emb. Exp. Morph. 83:197-231.
(50) Henry, G., J. Van Blerkom and R. Porreco (1984) Human in vitro fertilization in a private program: Reproductive genetics in vitro. J. IVF and ET 1:76-79.
(51) Van Blerkom, J. and P. Motta (eds.) (1984) Ultrastructure of Reproduction: Gametogenesis, Fertilization and Embryogenesis, Martinus Nijhoff, Boston.
(52) Van Blerkom, J. (1985) Posttranslational modification of proteins during resumption of arrested meiosis and early embryogenesis in the mammal. In: Control of Cell Growth and Proliferation (C.M. Veneziale, ed.), Van Nostrand, Reinhold, Co., pp. 67-86.
(53) Van Blerkom, J. (1985) Protein synthesis during oogenesis and early embryogenesis in the mammal. In: Biology of Fertilization, Vol. 3 (C.B. Metz and A. Monroy, eds.), Academic Press, NY, pp. 379-399.
(54) Van Blerkom, J. (1985) Extragenomic regulation and autonomous expression of a developmental program in the early mammalian embryo. Ann. N.Y. Acad. Sci. 442:58-72.
(55) Carroll, S., P.D. Riley, M. Klymkowsky, J. Van Blerkom, J. Stewart and M.P. Scott (1986) Localization of homoeodomain-containing proteins using antibodies against synthetic oligopeptides. In: Gametogenesis and the Early Embryo, Alan Liss, Inc., pp. 257-270.
(56) Van Blerkom, J. and H. Bell (1986) Regulation of development in the fully grown mouse oocyte: Chromosome-mediated temporal and spatial differentiation of the cytoplasm and plasma membrane. J. Embryol. exp. Morph. 93:213-238.
(57) Van Blerkom, J., H. Bell and G. Henry (1987) The occurrence, recognition and developmental fate of pseudomultipronuclear eggs after in vitro fertilization of human oocytes. Human Reprod. 2:217-225.
(58) Van Blerkom, J. and G.P. Henry (1988) Cytogenetic analyses of living human oocytes: Cellular basis and developmental consequences of perturbations in chromosomal organization and complement. Human Reprod. 3:777-790.
(59) Van Blerkom, J. and P. Motta (eds.) (1989) Ultrastructure of Human Gametogenesis and Embryogenesis, Kluwer Acad. Pub., Boston.
(60) Van Blerkom, J. (1989) Developmental failure in human reproduction associated with preovulatory oogenesis and preimplantation embryogenesis. IN: Ultrastructure of Human Gametogenesis and Embryogenesis (J. Van Blerkom and P. Motta, eds.), Kluwer Acad. Pub., pp. 125-180.
(61) Van Blerkom, J. (1989) Morphodynamics of nuclear and cytoplasmic reorganization during the resumption of arrested meiosis in the mouse oocyte. Prog. in Clin. and Biol. Res. 294:33-52.
(62) Van Blerkom, J. (1989) The origin and detection of chromosomal abnormalities in meiotically mature human oocytes obtained from stimulated follicles and after failed fertilization in vitro. Prog. in Clin. and Biol. Res. 296:299-310.
(63) Van Blerkom, J. (1989) Maturation of germinal vesicle stage mouse oocytes at high frequency after cryopreservation. I. Alterations in cytoplasmic, nuclear, nucleolar and chromosomal structure and organization associated with vitrification. Human Reprod. 4:883-898.
(64) Van Blerkom, J. (1989) Experimental approaches to the study of early developmental failure in human reproduction. IN: The Basic Science Foundation of Medically-Assisted Conception (K. Ryan et al., eds.), National Academy of Sciences, pp. 234-249.
(65) Van Blerkom, J. (1990) Cellular and Developmental Biological Aspects of Bovine Meiotic Maturation, Fertilization, and Preimplantation Embryogenesis in Vitro. JEMT 16:298-323.
(66) Van Blerkom, J. (1990) Occurrence and Developmental Consequences of Aberrant Cellular Organization in Meiotically Mature Human Oocytes after Exogenous Ovarian Hyperstimulation. JEMT 16:324-346.
(67) Van Blerkom, J. (1991) Intrinsic and extrinsic influences on the expression of molecular and cellular differential in human oocytes and embryos. IN: The Biology and Chemistry of Mammalian Fertilization (P.M. Wassarman, ed.), CRC Press.
(68) Van Blerkom, J. and G. Henry (1991) Dispermic fertilization of human oocytes. JEMT 17:437-449.
(69) Van Blerkom, J. (1991) Cryopreservation of the mammalian oocyte. IN: Animal Applications of Research in Mammalian Development (Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press), pp. 83-119.
(70) Van Blerkom, J. (1991) Microtubule mediation of cytoplasmic and nuclear maturation during the early stages of resumed meiosis in cultured mouse oocytes. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 88:5031-5035.
(71) Van Blerkom, J. and G.H. Henry (1992) Oocyte dysmorphism and aneuploidy in meiotically-mature human oocytes after controlled ovarian stimulation. Human Reprod. 7(3):379- 390.
(72) Van Blerkom, J. (1993) Development of human embryos to the hatched blastocyst stage in the presence or absence of a monolayer of Vero cells. Human Reprod. 8:1525-1539.
(73) Van Blerkom, J. (1994) Developmental failure in human reproduction associated with chromosomal abnormalities and cytoplasmic pathologies in meiotically-mature oocytes. IN: The Biological Basis of Early Reproductive Failure in the Human: Applications to Medically Assisted Conception in the Treatment of Infertility (J. Van Blerkom, ed.). Oxford University Press. pp. 283-325.
(74) Van Blerkom, J. (1994) Intrinsic factors affecting the outcome of laboratory-assisted conception in the human. IN: The Biological Basis of Early Reproductive Failure in the Human: Applications to Medically Assisted Conception in the Treatment of Infertility (J. Van Blerkom, ed.). Oxford University Press. pp. 3-27.
(75) Van Blerkom, J. and P. Davis (1994) Cytogenetic, cellular and developmental consequences of cryopreservation of immature and mature mouse and human oocytes. Micr. Res. Tech. 27:165-193.
(76) Van Blerkom, J., P. Davis and J. Merriam (1994) The developmental ability of human oocytes penetrated at the germinal vesicle stage after insemination in vitro. Human Reprod. 9:697-708.
(77) Van Blerkom, J. (1994) The History, Current Status and Future Prospects for Research Involving Human Embryos: A Report to the National Institutes of Health Panel on Human Embryo Research. In: Report of NIH Human Embryo Research Panel. U.S. Government Printing Office.
(78) Van Blerkom, J., P. Davis and J. Merriam (1994) A retrospective analysis of unfertilized and presumed parthenogenetically activated human oocytes demonstrated a high frequency of sperm penetration. Human Reprod. 9:2381-2388.
(79) Van Blerkom, J., P. Davis and J. Lee (1995) ATP content of human oocytes and developmental potential and outcome after in-vitro fertilization and embryo transfer. Human Reprod. 10:415-424.
(80) Van Blerkom, J., J.P. Davis, J. Merriam and J. Sinclair (1995) Nuclear and cytoplasmic dynamics of sperm penetration, pronuclear formation, and microtubule organization during fertilization and early preimplantation development in the human. Human Reprod. Update 1:429-461.
(81) Van Blerkom, J. and P. Davis (1995) Evolution of the sperm aster after microinjection of isolated human sperm centrosomes into meiotically mature human oocytes. Mol. Human Reprod. 1:2179-2182.
(82) Van Blerkom, J. (1996) The influence of intrinsic and extrinsic factors on the developmental potential and chromosomal normality of the human oocyte. J. Soc. Gynecol. Invest. 3:3-11.
(83) Van Blerkom, J. (1996) Sperm centrosome dysfunction: A possible new class of male factor infertility in the human. Mol. Human. Reprod. 2:349-354.
(84) Tarin, J., F. Vendrell, J. Van Blerkom and A. Cano (1996) The oxidant agent tertiary butyl hydroperoxide induces disturbances in spindle structure, c-meiosis, and aneuploidy in mouse oocytes. Mol. Human Reprod. 12:895-902.
(85) Van Blerkom, J., M.Antczak and R Schrader (1997) The developmental potential of the human oocyte is related to the dissolved oxygen content of follicular fluid: association with vascular endothelial growth factor levels and perifollicular blood flow characteristics. Human Reprod. 12:1047-1055.
(86) Cioffi, J. J. Van Blerkom, M. Antczak, A. Shafer, S. Wittmer and R. Snodgress (1997) The expression of leptin and its receptors in pre-ovulatory human follicles. Mol. Human Reprod. 3:467-472.
(87) Van Blerkom, J. (1997) Can the developmental competence of early human embryos be predicted effectively in the clinical IVF laboratory? Human Reprod. 12:1610-1614.
(88) Van Blerkom, J. (1997) The earliest events of human fertilization. In: Microscopy of Reproduction and Development: A Dynamic Approach (P. Motta, ed.).
(89) Van Blerkom, J. (1997) Human ovarian follicular vascularity, oxygen content and the developmental potential of the preovulatory oocyte. Proc. 19th World Cong. on In Vitro Fertilization and Embryo Transfer (V. Gamely and P. Leung, eds.). Monduzzi Editore, Rome. Pp. 743-750.
(90) Antczak, M., J. Van Blerkom and A. Clark (1997) A novel mechanism of vascular endothelial growth factor, leptin and transforming growth factor beta2 sequestration in a subpopulation of human ovarian follicle cells. Human Reprod. 12:2226-2234.
(91) Antczak, M. and J. Van Blerkom (1997) Oocyte influences on early development: The regulatory proteins leptin and STAT3 are polarized in mouse and human oocytes and differentially distributed within the cells of the preimplantation stage embryo. Mol. Human Reprod. 3:1067-1086..
(92) Van Blerkom, J. and P. Davis (1998) DNA strand breaks and phosphatidylserine redistribution in newly ovulated and cultured mouse and human oocytes: occurrence and relationship to apoptosis. Human Reprod. 13:1317-1324.
(93) Van Blerkom, J. (1998) Epigenetic influences on oocyte developmental competence. Follicular oxygenation and perifollicular vascularity. J. Asst. Reprod. Genet. 15:226-234.
(94) Van Blerkom, J., J. Sinclair and P. Davis (1998) Mitochondrial transfer between oocytes: Potential applications of mitochondrial donation and the issue of heteroplasmy. Human Reprod. 12:2857-2868.
(95) Antczak, M. and J. Van Blerkom (1999) Temporal and spatial aspects of fragmentation in early human embryos: Possible effects on developmental competence and association with the differential elimination of regulatory proteins from polarized domains. Human Reprod. 14:429-447.
(96) Van Blerkom, J. (1999) Oocyte contributions to embryogenesis in mammals. Processing of the 11th World Congress on In Vitro Fertilization and Human Reproductive Genetics: Towards Reproductive
Certainty: Fertility and Genetics Beyond 1999 (R. Jansen and D. Mortimer, eds.). Parthenon Pub., New York. Pp. 223-230.
(97) Van Blerkom, J. (2000) Intrafollicular influences on human oocyte developmental competence: Perifollicular vascularity, oocyte metabolism and mitochondrial function. Human Reprod., 15, Suppl. 2, 173-188..
(98) Antczak, M. and Van Blerkom, J. (2000) The vascular character of ovarian follicular granulosa cells: phenotypic and functional evidence for an endothelial-like cell population Hum. Reprod. 15, 2306-2318.
(99) Van Blerkom, J., Davis, P. and Alexander, S. (2000). Differential mitochondrial
inheritance between blastomeres in cleavage stage human embryos: determination at the pronuclear stage and relationship to micotubular organization, ATP content and developmental competence. Hum. Reprod. 15: 2621-2633.
(100) Van Blerkom, J. Davis, P. and Alexander, (2001) Human embryo fragmentation: A multifaceted microscopic, biochemical and experimental study of fragmentation in early human preimplantation stage embryos Human Reprod. 16, 719-729.
(101) Van Blerkom, J. and Davis, P. (2001). Differential effects of repeated superovulation on cytoplasmic and spindle organzation and DNA stability in MII mouse oocyte matured in vivo and in vitro. Human Reprod. 16. 757-764.
(102) Van Blerkom, J. (2002). Epigenetic influences on human oocyte and embryo development: The relationship between developmental competence and perifollicular blood flow and vascularity. In. De Jong ed). Assisted Reproduction in the Human, Cambridge Univ. Press.
(103) Van Blerkom, J., Davis, P., Mawhig, V., and Alexander, S. (2002). Domains of high and low polarized mitochondria in mouse and human ooctes and early embryos. Hum. Reprod. 17,393-406.
(104) Van Blerkom, J. (2003). Symmetries, Asymmetries and Polarities in Early Human Development. In Gosden, R. and Trounson, A. (ed). Biology and Pathology of the Oocyte. Cambridge Univ.Press
(105) Van Blerkom, J. and Davis, P. and Alexander (2003). Inner mitochondrial membrane potential cytoplasmic ATP content and free calcium levles in metaphase II mouse oocytes. Hum. Reprod. 18, 2429-2440.
(106) Van Blerkom, J and Gregory, L. (2004) Essential IVF: Basic Research and Clinical Applications, Kluwer Academic Publishers (Springer Verlag, after 2005)
(107).Van Blerkom (2004). The Enigma of Fragmentaton in Early Human Embryos: Possible Causes and Clinical Relevance in Van Blerkom, J. and Gregory, L. (eds.). Essential IVF. Kluwer Acad. Pub., Boston.
(108). Van Blerkom, J., Davis, P. and Alexander, S. (2004). Delayed Evolution of a Sperm-Derived Miotitc Spindle in the Absence of Male Pronuclear Formation in Apparently Unfertilized Human Oocyes. Reprod. BioMed Online 8:454-459
(109) Jones, A. Van Blerkom, J., Davis, P. and Toledo, A. (2004). Cryopreservation of Metaphase II Human Ooocytes Effects Mitochondrial Inner Membrane Potential: Implications for Developmental Competence. Human Reproduction 19: 1861-1866.
(110) Van Blerkom, J. (2004) The role of mitochondria in human oogenesis and preimplantation embryogeneisis: engines of metabolism, ionic regulation and developmental competence. Reproduction 128: 269-280.
(111). Makabe S. and Van Blerkom, J. (2006). Human Female Reproduction. Taylor and Francis
(112) Van Blerkom, J., Cox, H and Davis, P. (2006) Mitochondrial regulation of development during the preimplantation period: cell and location-specific ΔΨm in normal, diapausing and outgrowing mouse blastocysts. Reproduction 131:961-970.
(113) Van Blerkom J and Davis, P. (2006) High-polarized (ΔΨmHIGH) mitochondria are spatially polarized in human ooctes and early embryos in stable subplasmalemmal domains: developmetnal significance and the concept of vanguard mitochondria. Reprod.BioMed Online 13: 246-254.
(114) Van Blerkom, J. (2006) Spontaneous and experimental translocation of the subplasmalemmal cytoplasm within and between blastomeres in early human embryos: possible effects on the redistribution and inheritance of regulatory domains. Reproductive BioMedicine Online 14, 191-200.
(115) Van Blerkom, J and Trout, S. (2007) Follicular Markers of Oocyte Competence. In
Cohen J and Elder, K. Handbook of Embryology, Taylor and Francis
(116) Van Blerkom J and Davis, P. (2007). Mitochondrial signaling and fertilization Mol
Hum Reprod 13: 759-770.
(117) Van Blerkom J (2008). Mitochondria as regulatory forces in oocytes, preimplantation
embryos and stem cells. Reprod. BioMed Online 16:553-569.
(118) Van Blerkom J, Davis, P, Thalhammer, V. (2008). Regulation of mitochondrial
polarity in mouse and human oocytes: the influence of cumulus derived nitric oxide.
Mol Hum Reprod 14,431-444.
(119) Van Blerkom, J (2009). An overview of determinants of oocyte and embryo
developmental competence: specificity, accuracy and applicability in clinical IVF.
In. Gerris, J. and Racowsky, C, Eds. Single Embryo Transfer, Cambridge University
Press, pp. 17-52.
(120) Van Blerkom J (2009). The mitochondria in early development. Seminars in Cell and
Developmental Biology 20: 191-200.
(121) Van Blerkom J (2011) Mitochondrial function in the human oocyte and embryo and
their role in developmental competence. Mitochondrion 11: 797-813.
(122) Van Blerkom, J. (2012). Mitochondria in early development. In:
In Vitro Fertilization: Advanced Methods and Novel Devices. Nagy, Zsolt Peter;
Varghese, Alex C. Agarwal. Ashok (Eds). Springer
(123) Van Blerkom, J. (2012) Molecular Mining of Follicular Fluid for Reliable Biomarkers
of Human Oocyte and Embryo Developmental Competence. In: In
Vitro Fertilization: Advanced Methods and Novel Devices. Nagy, P, Varghese,
C. Agarwal, A. (Eds.) Springer
(124) Van Blerkom, J (2012) The Role of the Plasma Membrane and Pericortical
Cytoplasm in Early Mammalian Development. In Mammalian Oogenesis. G Coticchio, L
De Santis, D Albertini, Eds. Springer (in press).
(125) Van Blerkom, J. ( 2012) Mitochondrial Activity as a Biomarker of Gamete and
Embryo Health In Gamete and Embryo Assessment in Assisted Reproduction, D,
Gardner, D, Sakkas, E. Seli, and D, Wells’ (Eds.). Springer (in press)
(126) Van Blerkom, J (2012). Functional remodeling of GM1 and CD9 lipid raft
microdomains in the mouse oolemma and fertilization competence (submitted).
(127) Van Blerkom J and Caltrider K. The molecular architecture of the human oolemma
and the role of lipid raft microdomains in the initial events of fertilization: an
explanation for idiopathic fertilization failure. (submitted, RBMOnline).
(128) Ombelet, W., Van Blerkom J, Nargund G, Campo R. First delivery of a healthy baby
originating from a simplified IVF method specifically designed for resource-poor
settings. (submitted, The Lancet).
(129) Van Blerkom, J., Ombelet W, Klerkx E, and Campo, R. First pregnancies with tWE
lab, a simplified IVF procedure: an important step towards universal and accessible
infertility care. (submitted, Human Reproduction)
Van Blerkom, J. Mitochondria and early mammalian development: polarities, bioenergetic and outcome. Reproductive Futures: A Symposium in Tribute to Robert Edwards. Cambridge University, UK. (supplement for RBM Online)
Van Blerkom J. High ΔΨm in subplasmalemmal mitochondria drives
oolemmal GM1 lipid microdomain remodeling and establishes fertilization competence
is regulated by eNOS activity in the pericortical cytoplasm.