There are many causes, both male and female, that contribute to infertility. Since infertility is a shared experience, it is best for couples to deal with it together.
In about 40 percent of infertile couples, an abnormality of semen may be present. Male factors affecting fertility may include:
- Sperm concentration, movement, appearance and/or shape
- Varicose veins in the scrotum
- Hormonal imbalances
There are many things that account for infertility problems in women. These include:
- Unhealthy fallopian tubes
- Irregular or abnormal ovulation
- Abnormalities in the surface of the pelvic organs or abdominal cavity
- Problems in the cervix
In approximately five to 10 percent of couples, all tests and conditions may be normal.